Saturday 13 August 2011

A day out

I've been taking a bit of a break after the rush to get the exhibition up.  It's all done now and looking good, so I'm told!  It's quite a drive for me so I probably won't get to see it again until the open evening on Friday (19th August 7-9pm - all welcome - venue details here).  So here's hoping there are lots of visitors and lots of sales!

Yesterday we went to one of my favourite places, Parc Glynllyfon just outside Caernarfon in North Wales.  The park was the gardens of a grand house and is full of follies which were built for the many children of the house - my youngest son especially is very jealous of these children of the past!

Parc Glynllyfon

Parc Glynllyfon

I have never been there when it has been dry (it is North Wales after all!) but it doesn't seem to matter, it all adds to the lush rainforest feel of the place.

Parc Glynllyfon

Parc Glynllyfon

At the far end of the park there are some sculptures including this eerie 'Lady in the Lake'

Parc Glynllyfon

And I've saved the best bit until last - as well as the lovely park there is a 'proper' craft shop and gallery with some little craft studios/workshops as well!  Best to visit at a weekend if you want to see the workshops open.  There are also some lovely old bits of mill machinery for those not interested in the crafts... and an interesting history of the house and its occupants, and did I mention the cafe with homemade cakes?

Well worth a visit, even in the rain!

2 comments:

  1. oooh I live in Herefordshire so not too far ... will have to make a note of this place, it looks beautiful and visit it sometime!
    Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, love the lake sculpture

    ReplyDelete

Helen Smith, artist and maker in glass, print and stitch.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails